For the third year running Envirocare have received a Gold award in the annual RoSPA achievement awards. Awards are made as a result of professional, administrative adjudication under supervision of an independent, expert Adjudication Panel, which is a sub-committee of the RoSPA National Occupational Safety and Health Committee (NOSHC). The panel is made up of a number of highly experienced health and safety experts including representation from the Health and Safety Executive.
In deciding the achievement award level merited, RoSPA takes account of a range of performance indicators. These include:
- Measure of occupational health and safety management ‘input’ such as the level of development of systems and culture
- Measures of health and safety management ‘output’ such as consistent application of risk control measures; and measures of ‘outcome’ such as reductions in near misses, notifiable injuries, the number of days lost, accident and ill health costs etc.
- Account is also taken of an entrant’s enforcement record.
- More attention is paid to other Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) than to lost time accident rates due to the limitations often associated with statistical data. Nevertheless, decisions about Awards at higher levels will be influenced by whether or not organisations have experienced significant enforcement action and/or fatal or major injuries for which they were culpable.
Gold Award – would typically involve entrants demonstrating:
- Excellent occupational health and safety management systems (e.g. strong audit results – system used and level achieved e.g. OHSAS 18001 or equivalent) and culture (as demonstrated by answers to the Key Performance Questions)
- A rigorous approach to occupational health
- High levels of compliance with control measures (evidence from active monitoring of performance) for principal risks
- Low/reducing rates of error (e.g. near misses), harm (accidents and work related ill health) and loss (e.g. accident and ill health costs)
- No fatal or major injuries due to employer negligence
- No significant enforcement issues (notices/prosecutions)
Envirocare continue to demonstrate a unified approach to the management of health and safety across the organisation and are proud of our 2014 RoSPA Gold Award